Visiting Scientist Programme
The National Centre for Atmospheric Science (NCAS) is the Natural Environment Research Council's research centre for atmospheric science. NCAS co-ordinates internationally leading research and expertise in atmospheric science and provides infrastructure, training and leadership to the UK atmospheric science community.
The purpose of the NCAS Visiting Scientists Programme is to facilitate collaborations that will share knowledge, advance existing research, stimulate new research areas, allow collective response to scientific initiatives, raise the international profile of NCAS and enable new relationships to be built in the key environmental research fields of:
- the science of climate change, including modelling and predictions;
- weather processes, including hazardous and extreme weather;
- atmospheric composition including air quality; and
- technologies for observing and modelling the atmosphere, including a world-leading research aircraft.
The Programme provides funding of up to £2500 per applicant to support work that is aligned to NCAS strategy, through either:
- international scientists visiting and working within NCAS;
- NCAS students and staff visiting and working within international institutions.
Applicants should note that:
- Funding priority will be given to doctoral students and early career scientists to travel internationally (to and from NCAS).
- NCAS executive directors and heads, and senior scientists (equivalent of UK professors) are not normally funded as traveller or host under this scheme, except in exceptional circumstances.
- NCAS students or staff need a letter of support from their NCAS director confirming appropriate fit alongside the NCAS strategy or programme.
- Funding is not available under this scheme for NCAS student or staff travel for core purposes of NCAS programmes, which should be funded from travel funds in the normal way.
- The NCAS member of staff or student should submit the application (not the external traveller if visiting NCAS).
Visiting Scientist requests will be considered by the NCAS Senior Management Group soon after the closing date (31st March and 31st August each year). Please allow up to 4 weeks for a decision about your application.
You should use the following application procedure
- Complete the online proposal form*
- A short curriculum vitae indicating educational and professional experience, and publications;
- A letter of support from your NCAS Director confirming appropriate fit alongside the NCAS strategy or programme;
- Supporting evidence in the form of a letter from both the home and prospective host institution indicating that they
- fully understand the nature of the scheme;
- realise where appropriate that no funds are available as a contribution to research costs, apparatus, or bench fees; and
- that they welcome the proposed visit.
* The applicants must agree to the terms and conditions. This agreement is confirmation that if the proposal is successful, under the conditions of the NCAS Visiting Scientist Programme, they agree to:
• provide a one page report to the NCAS Manager describing the visit and its accomplishments within 30 days of completion of the visit;
• appear in publicity and promotion materials for the proposal;
• acknowledge the support of NCAS funds in any publications or presentations arising from the visit.