A bit of a surprise this morning, we woke up to find it had snowed overnight. Alan predicted precipitation but he didn’t specify snow so the general consensus was that it didn’t count.

We still managed to launch a balloon but flying the UAV was out for the day.

sg blog9

Radiosonde tripod and antenna in the snow.

 

Today we thought we would test out the UAV again. I had taken a mini camera with me which I attached to the UAV. Here you can see a still image from the onboard camera.  Unfortunately the problem with the ailerons was still causing problems and flying the UAV was proving tricky. The winds were very light so it would have been a good day for flying.

sg blog8

From left to right Alan, me(flying), Dan, Darren, Gemma and Frin

The day started with a successful balloon launch at 10am local time. The wind was very light and it we couldn’t have asked for better conditions for our first balloon launch of the campaign.

sg blog5

Barb started to program the Lidar.

sg blog6

Alan, Dan and I took the UAV out to the football field behind Grytviken. The wind was fairly low and well within limits for flying. Unfortunately the quest didn’t seem to be flying correctly. After about five attempts we came to the conclusion that the ailerons were missed aligned and were not moving up and down enough to give the UAV the lift it needed.  We headed back to the boat shed to do some maintenance.

sg blog7

After our tour of the base we were relieved to see that all our science kit had made it safely to KEP and was now all packaged up in a shipping container. We soon realised the container would act as a great balloon inflating tent so we shuffled things around inside to give us some room at the front in preparation for the balloons.

sg blog2

Next we were shown our lab and we started to setup the radio sonde equipment and computers. 

sg blog3

That evening we decided to head over to Grytviken to the old Whaling station. It was a lovely day and the clouds were amazing.

sg blog4

 

After 2 days and 10 hours at sea we sailed into King Edward point. The ship had done a steady 15 knots all the way from Stanley. We were very lucky with the seas on the way over and only Barb suffered with sea sickness.
As we approached KEP there were a couple of growlers to avoid and eventually we anchored up just outside the base. We were met by a BAS jet boat that supplied us with immersion suits and life jackets and we were shuttled ashore to our new home for the next couple of weeks.

sg blog1