NCAS in the Media
- March 2019 Prof Ed Hawkins promotes the citizen science project Operation Weather Rescue on ITV News and Sky News.
- March 2019 BBC share comments from Dr Ioana Colfescu on a recent study suggesting global warming will increase the severity of California wildfires.
- January 2019 Prof Ally Lewis is quoted by the Guardian and the BBC regarding fracking activity in the UK.
- November 2018 Major press including UK Government, ITV News and the Guardian write online about the deployment of the NCAS portable radar in Cumbria to improve flood forecasting. Dr Lindsay Bennett also talks to the Paul Hudson Weather Show about our role in the collaboration with the Environment Agency.
- November 2018 Dr Grant Forster is featured on BBC Sounds podcast CrowdScience. The award-winning episode looks at carbon dioxide levels in our atmosphere.
- July 2018 NCAS scientists are well represented in the media following a record-breaking summer heatwave. Prof Rowan Sutton talks to BBC Radio 4 Today Show, Prof Ed Hawkins talks to BBC Radio 5 Live and ITV news, Prof Len Shaffrey is featured on Sky News and wrote an article for online media outlet The Conversation.
- June 2018 BBC News join the FAAM aircraft for flights over the UK moorland fires. Prof Ally Lewis is featured in ITV News online talking about the pollution generated by the fires.
- June 2018 Prof Ed Hawkins’ climate data visualisations take the web by storm, achieving over 4,000 retweets and online coverage by national newspaper i and Washington Post. For the Summer Solstice, over 100 TV meteorologists wore clothing decorated with his colourful climate stripes.
- May 2018 NCAS scientists collaborate with artists to produce a set of animations for the Hay Festival 2018, the videos have received over 6,800 views on YouTube.
- May 2018 Prof Ally Lewis and Dr Sarah Moller write an article for the Conversation about the UK’s clean air strategy.
- April 2018 Citizen science project Operation Weather Rescue, led by Prof Ed Hawkins, is featured on Channel 5 TV show World’s Greatest Mountains.
- March 2018 Prof Ed Hawkins is mentioned by the Guardian, explaining how warming temperatures lead to heavier rainfall.
- February 2018 Prof Ally Lewis comments on US research that shows household sprays rival diesel fumes for causing air pollution.
- February 2018 BBC Weather press release explains that NCAS will monitor MeteoGroup forecasts.
- February 2018 Dr Zoe Fleming's work on analysing global surface ozone levels appears in the Geographical magazine.