The Introduction to Scientific Computing course is designed to provide NERC PhD students and early career researchers with essential skills for working with scientific data and automating tasks.
The central topics covered in this 5 day course will be:
- Introduction to the linux shell
- Python programming basics
- Python starting to work with files
- Automated logging of instrumental data
In addition, the following topics are introduced:
- Algorithmic thinking
- Introduction to software version control
- Introduction to parallelising your code
- Good data management practices
- The importance of metadata
The course will be taught using a mixture of presentations and a large number of practical exercises. The aim of the course is to equip students with fundamental knowledge and skills to allow them to start using computers for cutting-edge environmental science research.
|About the Programme||Course Costs|