Thursday (1/12) update
Written by Jesse Norris
Thursday, 01 December 2011 18:51
Today's flight north of Scotland was a success. Was a very rough ride when flying 100 m above stormy waters in the strongest winds, just behind the cyclone centre, but the data collected and cyclone features sampled were very much at the heart of the aims of Diamet.
The next low pressure system is moving in from the Atlantic, but too far away to be of interest at this time. Therefore no flight planned.
The centre of the low is forecast to track to the north of Scotland heading towards Norway, and the associated cold front is forecast to cross the UK in the early hours of the morning, however this is not particularly well defined and was not considered interesting enough to warrant a night flight. However the option remains of a fluxes flight off the NW coast of Scotland around mid-day; this should be confirmed at tomorrow's conference call. Note the airport runway will be closed 19:00 Saturday and will re-open 09:00 Sunday morning, although this should not affect the fluxes flight if it goes ahead.
Possibility of some frontal wave development, which is worth keeping an eye on.
Beginning of next week
Nothing of interest in the forecast as yet.